Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Winter: Hockey Storytime

Today is Hockey is for Everyone Day, so our storytime theme was hockey!

Family storytime returned after a couple weeks of break. Time to get back into the storytime routine. A little technology failures towards the end of the program, but a fun morning!

Here's what we did:

Welcome
SONG: Hello Song
Storytime Reminders
 
Snowbie, our storytime puppet pal, returns to say, "Hello, everybody!"
FLANNEL:      Snowball, snowball, cold and round, behind which mitten can you be found?Behind the 5 mittens: snowball, hockey helmet, hockey stick, hockey puck, and hockey skate.
The images were clipart (or graphics) from Canva. I tried to laminate them this morning, but the laminator ate my page! I printed a second copy and used nonlaminated paper.

When we turn over the mittens, we sign the colors (like we do for the bookworm flannel). I forgot to look up pink and gray. For pink we signed red and for gray we did nothing. A kind caregiver after storytime looked up the signs and shared them with me after storytime. So sweet! Now I will be better prepared for next time! Thank you!!

BOOK: Hockey by Cynthia Klingel and Robert B. Noyed (The Child’s World, 2003)
A short nonfiction book about the sport of hockey.
 
SONG:  Dance, Freeze, Melt by The Learning Groove
A freeze song since hockey is played on ice. Ice freezes and melts!
 
BOOK: Sports Illustrated Kids Hockey Shapes by Mark Weakland (Capstone Press, 2014)
Another nonfiction picture book that focused on shapes you can find at a hockey game. I didn't use all the pages. I paperclipped page 11-16 together. The shapes we identified included circle, triangle, square, rectangle, pentagon, diamond, oval, star, cylinder, and cube. 

SONG: One from the Left by Jim Gill 
Since we talked about shapes and counting in our last book, here's a favorite counting song.

We ended up singing acapella! When I switched from my iPod to MP3 player, this song didn't move over. I replaced it on the go this morning with Hands are for Clapping by Jim Gill (knowing my posted slide wouldn't match). I didn't change my note on the agenda page ... Well. Here we are and here we go singing it. I know the song and I have wonderful leader caregivers who jumped right in and sang it with me. 
 
BOOK: I’m Cool! By Kate & Jim McMullan (Balzer & Bray [HarperCollins], 2015)
It's the big machine of hockey!

SONG: Digger, Excavator with Tom Pease
Here is where technology and I had a failure to communicate! Tom Pease did this rhyme/song live at a concert a couple years ago and I saved it to our camera. I was able to upload it and add it to a slide so it would auto play ... The iPad fell alseep because the battery was dying and then the slides disappeared and the iPad thought I wanted to take a picture. Found the albums! Found the slide! The volume was gone! Found the remote and unmuted the TV. Still no sound. (Trying not to panic, but calmly talk it through for the audience.) Caregivers sharing that I also need the unmute it on the iPad. FINALLY got it to play! Yay!! It's such a great little rhyme! 
 
BOOK: Sports Illustrated Kids Goodnight Hockey by Michael Dahl, illustrated by Christina Forshay (Picture Window Books [Capstone], 2015)
This was on my agenda to read, but it was the end of storytime by the time we finished our last rhyme (with the technology excitement). 

Announcements
Craft Instructions: Make your own hockey ice rink out of paper, tape, pipe cleaners, and wooden sticks.
SONG: Goodbye Song


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...