Monday, May 20, 2013

Storytime: Vegetables



Every May at the library, we have a special garden storytime series that lasts for three weeks. This year's theme was Planting a Rainbow. My themes for Planting a Rainbow were flowers, fruit, and vegetables.
Vegetables Storytime

This was my favorite Preschool Planters from the Planting a Rainbow series. Here's the agenda for vegetable storytime:

Welcome
Hello Everybody, Yes Indeed SONG by Carole Peterson

Vegetables, Vegetables by Fay Robinson
I like to start out my storytime with an easy nonfiction about the theme. Vegetables, Vegetables fit the bill this week. There were pages I didn't want to include (the pages on veggies that are fruit and making a salad) so I paper clipped them together so we could focus on "regular" vegetables.

Potatoes on Tuesday by Dee Lillegard, illustrated by David McPhail
This is a short and little easy reader. To add to the book, I added flannel board veggies and asked the audience to tell me the veggie when I placed it up on the flannel board.

Vegetable Soup SONG by Piggyback Songs
I added ASL signs for this song. We learned the American Sign Language sign for broth, carrot, celery, onion, and potato.
Rah, Rah, Radishes! A Vegetable Chant by April Pulley Sayre

And then it’s Spring by Julie Fogliano, illustrated by Erin E. stead 
This was a great book to add a counting activity. Throughout the book we'd count the days of the week: 7 days are in 1 week. We'd also name the days of the week. It was repeated 3 times in the book.

Announcements
Goodbye Rap SONG by Carole Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...